The IIC&M is an organisation that is passionate about and dedicated to raising the professionalism of coaching and mentoring worldwide. We are delighted to be one of the largest officially recognised professional accreditation bodies in existence.
We exist to fulfill a number of functions:
- to support all coaches, mentors, training organisations, and students worldwide
- to be a resource centre for everyone interested in the wonderful, powerful, life changing phenomenon known as coaching or mentoring
- to provide a platform of support and guidance for all our members, with coaches, mentors, and teams worldwide to assist our members
- to be a source of continuing education for all of our members, accredited and professional coaches and mentors, through our education streams and members community
- to provide our associate members, accredited and professional coaches and mentors, with a friendly caring community that will look after and take care of them and also provide countless resources and a large comprehensive benefits programme
- to help our members engage on a path of growth and education through our regular communications, our white papers, and our highly thought of interactive webinars.
The International Accreditation Body for Coaching and Mentoring
creating excellence in the coaching and mentoring professions
Who is the IIC&M?
The IIC&M (originally the ECI) was formed in 1999 as a not-for-profit organisation to be a force for good in coaching. It was founded by and continues to be run by professional coaches. The IIC&M is an internationally-focused organisation; building, maintaining, raising awareness, and working to promote best practices, while providing value added benefits to its Members.
Continuing improvement in Coaching has been a concern of the IIC&M since 1999. Voluntary accreditation is enshrined in IIC&M policy, but in several countries steps are being taken on a national level towards mandatory accreditation, coupled with legal or professional re-certification or re-licensing and the establishment of an industry standard promoted within all areas of work. This will lead towards an increasing need to a standard of accreditation, obtained by individual Coaches, Mentors and Training Providers.
In 1999 a group of concerned coaches came together to establish the IIC&M, originally formed as the ECI, under the leadership of Ben Botes as the original founder and CEO. Ben was ably supported by Aina Egeberg who was head of Erikson Coach Training in the UK. The initial focus was on life coaching but this was quickly changed to embrace all areas of coaching, including Business, Executive, and Corporate coaching.
In 2013 a group of concerned professional mentors joined the IIC&M to include accreditation for both mentors and mentor training providers.
The IIC&M facilitates access to quality accreditation for Coaches, Mentors, and to Clients; contributes to the quality of accreditation and ensures that availability of a high standard of Coach or Mentor Training. Quality control of Coaching, Mentoring and Coach or Mentor Training is a key element in this process. It was decided to effect this by forming an accreditation body catering specifically for the Coaching and Mentoring Industry, using the expertise of qualified and experienced Coaches and Mentors active in their fields.
Consolidating and Improving Training Standards
The purpose of the IIC&M is the harmonisation and improvement of the quality of Coaching and Coach Training; and Mentoring and Mentor Training. In the field of continual professional development, the IIC&M will serve this purpose by consolidating and improving training standards, advocating the need for Government regulation of Coaching and Mentoring; and improve the accessibility to independent verification through accreditation for Professional Coaches and Mentors. The practical instrument to improve the quality of accreditation is the establishment of a standard benchmark for Coaching and Mentoring Accreditation.
The IIC&M provides accreditation for Training Organisations directly, and will connect with the emerging international and national accreditation bodies. As such it does not supersede the national authority on accreditation of Coaching or Mentoring, nor does it create another layer of bureaucracy. Rather the IIC&M will work in conjunction with the emerging national accreditation bodies.
The IIC&M’s Accreditation Team will link the accrediting bodies participating in the IIC&M’s Vision of creating excellence in the coaching and mentoring professions. The IIC&M is committed to defining the Coaching and Mentoring Industries as an independent and valuable industries.
The IIC&M is a learning organisation and as such continually reviews all aspects of the organisation to facility the effective forward movement of Coaching.
Please send any feedback, commentaries and suggestions via our enquiry and feedback facility.
The purpose of the IIC&M is to:
- protect coaching and mentoring standards,
- promote coaching and mentoring as professional industries,
- to internationally educate individuals, organisations and the media about the IIC&M’s Standards and Ethics of Coaching and Mentoring,
- be a source of information to its members,
- be a source of information to the public and to its subscribers about coaching and mentoring,
- be a source of information about the history and development of coaching and mentoring,
- be a source of information about how coaching or mentoring can be usefully applied,
- to explain how each individual can select their own coach or mentor,
- to explain how organisations can select their coaches or mentors,
- to explain how each individual can select their own coaching or mentoring training,
- provide a coach and mentor referral service that allows you to select the right qualified and professional or accredited coach or mentor for you and/or your organisation,
- provide a coaching and mentoring forum for its members,
- provide business building support to its members,
- provide Research and Development white papers to its members,
- represent Coaching and Mentoring to Statutory Bodies, Country and International governments, other professional associations, and to the media, and
- to build and maintain the one and only all encompassing Directory of Coaches and Mentors.
The IIC&M does not work in competition with other international accreditation bodies or membership bodies, but will co-operate with and support any other organisation that has the same purpose in mind.
What makes the IIC&M different?
The IIC&M is led by:
- coaches for coaching, and
- mentors for mentoring
- Being led by coaches and mentors, the IIC&M Business Success Team (see below) provides a huge understanding of the issues that coaches and mentors face.
- The IIC&M is internationally focused and not only locally or nationally focused.
- The IIC&M is coach and mentor focused and not internally focused.
- The IIC&M continually looks at how it can look after its members. This is evidenced by the different newsletters, resources for our members, the newly developed and released highly intuitive and interactive enquiry procedure.
- The IIC&M has a constantly updating web-site.
- The IIC&M’s Complaints Procedure, which is diligent, unbiased, robust, tried and tested; protects 4 ‘people’ – client, coach/mentor, training organisation and the professions.
- The IIC&M is an independent organisation – the leadership team is made up of a number of volunteers who run their own coaching or mentoring organisations, training organisations and training programmes.
- The IIC&M ‘s standards, ethics, philosophies and values have been created incorporated a number of cultures and languages.
- The IIC&M has a division dedicated to Research and Development.
- The IIC&M is committed to furthering the quality of coaching world-wide – furthering the standards world-wide.
- The Achievements Awards is inclusive and not exclusive. Any coach or mentor can apply.
- The IIC&M embraces and recognises people outside of the coaching and mentoring world – the Associate Membership level demonstrates this.
- The IIC&M hosts the International Directory of Coaching and Mentoring.
- The International Directory of Coaching and Mentoring generates coach and mentor referral requests.
- The IIC&M are proud that they support and partner with national and local coaching organisations by affiliating with the to give the affiliate organisations members access to the IIC&M ’s wealth of resources.
The IIC&M is the preferred international Accreditation Body
for Coaches, Mentors, Training Providers, and Clients.
creating excellence in the coaching and mentoring professions
The IIC&M is an organisation run by coaches and mentors. As an internationally focused officially recognised accreditation organisation; building, maintaining, raising awareness, and working to promote best practice, it’s aim is to create excellence in the coaching and mentoring professions while providing value added benefits to all its members.
The purpose of the IIC&M is to promote and protect coaching and mentoring standards, to internationally educate individuals and organisations in the Standards and Ethics of Coaching and Mentoring, to work with those who regulate Coaching and Mentoring, to explain how each individual or organisation can select their own coach or mentor, and to establish industry standards.
The IIC&M does not work in competition with other internationally recognised accreditation bodies, but will co-operate with and support any other organisation that has the same purpose in mind. The IIC&M was founded to protect and promote the excellence of and the Standards and Ethics in Coaching and Mentoring.
As an organisation run by professional coaches and mentors for the benefit of the coaching and mentoring industries, coaches, and mentors are required to fill the leadership roles within the IIC&M. Click this link to apply to join this team of dedicated professionals.
Meet the Team:
click on the photograph to find out more about
or to contact the member of the team
As an organisation run by professional coaches and mentors for the benefit of the coaching and mentoring industries, coaches, and mentors are required to fill the leadership roles within the IIC&M. Click the link below to apply to join this team of dedicated professionals.
Here at the IIC&M, we are striving constantly to empower not only our members but anyone interested in the wonderful world of coaching or mentoring. To support that initiative we have a membership level called Associate Member which is open to any man or woman, irrespective of whether they have any coaching or coaching knowledge, history, experience or have training as a coach or mentor. As an Associate Member you can access many of the benefits of our Accredited and Professional Members, including our resources library of webinars, and much more. I would urge you to check this out and welcome you to join our family at the IIC&M.